Welcome to Rotterdam, the second biggest city in the Netherlands, home to the largest port in Europe, and of course home to the offices of InSites Consulting.
Rotterdam has long been known as a city of no-nonsense hard-working people. Having been rebuilt after the Second World War bombings, the centre of Rotterdam is markedly different and much less historic than other Dutch cities such as Amsterdam. Rotterdam quickly developed on the waves of modernization and is nowadays characterized by continuous land development and modern architecture, of which the famed Erasmus bridge (4) is but one visible example.
The InSites Consulting offices are situated near Rotterdam Alexander, about 20 minutes away from the centre of the city. For a long time, Rotterdam Alexander was known as the lowest place in the Netherlands, some 6 meters below sea level! Luckily, we manage to keep our heads above water at the Rotterdam InSites offices. Unfortunately, besides the nearby presence of one of the largest shopping centres in the Netherlands, there is little to do for visitors in the immediate vicinity.
That is why a visit to the InSites Rotterdam offices should be accompanied by a visit to the city centre. So why not visit some of our favourite places in Rotterdam?
- Witte de With straat, recognized for its trendy and hip bars and restaurants. Especially interesting are the Witte Aap bar, voted best bar in the world by Lonely Planet in 2009, and Bazar, a restaurant which serves dishes from all over the world (reservation required!). The Centre for Contemporary Art is also situated here, while the Boymans-Van Beuningen art museum is just a few minutes away.
- Near the famous cube houses at the Blaak area lies the Old Harbour (‘Oude Haven’)(2). Back in the day ships were welcomed here, now tourists and Rotterdam locals alike are welcome in the bars and on the terraces that are lined up from beginning to end in this quite cosy place. As a popular nightlife area, it is especially popular in the summer and on weekends.
- For music lovers, Rotown (1) on the Nieuwe Binnenweg (near Witte de With) is a recognized favourite.
- Want to take your visit to a higher level? Then a visit to the Euromast is a must. From the 185 meter high tower, you get a great view of the city and its surroundings.
- Interested in football? Why not visit De Kuip (3), the most beautiful football stadium in the Netherlands, situated on the south bank of Rotterdam. Every fortnight the pride of the city, Feyenoord, play a match here in front of 45,000 fans.