Optimizing and inspiring the IKEA catalogue
IKEA is an international retail organization which offers a wide range of well designed, functional home furnishing products at prices so low that as many people as possible will be able to afford them. The end goal of IKEA vision is creating a better everyday life for many people.
For IKEA, the yearly catalogue is the main communication channel with existing and potential customers globally. Since 1951, the IKEA catalogue has been a vital part of IKEA retailing. Today, more than 200 million households around the world receive the IKEA catalogue. The IKEA catalogue is distributed to reach a substantial amount of households in the catchment areas of the 340 IKEA shops.In order to maximize the impact of this spearhead touchpoint, IKEA raised the following objectives:
- Assess the perception, satisfaction and engagement level the 2013 IKEA catalogue evokes.
- Understand how the IKEA catalogue can inspire and stimulate home furnishing interest.
- Optimize the creative execution of the 2014 IKEA catalogue by measuring and understanding the stomach impact of the IKEA catalogue cover.
What did we do?
- Multi-country project, simultaneously in the US, China, Germany, Italy and Poland, benefiting from our Moderator Network
- 3-week Consumer Consulting Board (also known as online research community) with, 2 months later, a 1-week re-activation
- Global Consumer Consulting Board bringing participants of 5 countries together to better understand regional differences
- Combination of techniques (discussion, ethnographic, implicit measurement)
- Analyses based consecutive learning (surprising results of survey were discussed in the communities)
Based on this research program, IKEA was able to…
- …better understand how the IKEA catalogue is used
- …to assess the importance of structure and storytelling
- …to fuel creative brainstorms of paths to follow in the future
Eager for more? Get your free download of Inspirational Customer Dialogues: The journey behind the global evaluation of the 2013 IKEA catalogue.